Kyoto's Nijo Castle
When Toshinobu, the fifteenth Tokugawa Shogun, returned sovereignty to the Emporer in 1876, the Castle was given to the Imperial Family. In 1884 it was renamed Nijo Detached Palace and in 1939 donated to the City of Kyoto when it was once again renamed Nijo-jo or Nijo Castle and opened to the public.
Other areas of Nijo-jo
Ieyasu Tokugawa (1541-1616), founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate, ordered all feudal lords of western Japan to undertake the construction of Nijo Castle.
Ieyasu made his first visit to Nijo castle upon completion of its construction (most parts of Ninomaru Palace).
Iemitsu (1603-1651), the third Tokugawa Shogun, established a system of development of the palace, such as, Honmaru, completion of Ninomaru Palace and donjon.
The five-storied donjon was struck by lightening and burned down.
Honmaru (Inner Palace) was destroyed in a great city-wide fire.
Yoshinobu (1837-1913), the fifteenth Tokugawa Shogun, restored sovereignty to the Emperor in a declaration made at the Ninomaru Palace.
The Imperial Cabinet was installed in the castle.
The castle was returned to the Imperial Family and renamed Nijo Detached Palace.
The castle was donated to the City of Kyoto, and renamed Nijo Castle (nijo-jo).
Nijo Castle opened to the public.
The Ninomaru Palace was designated a National Treasure, and Honmaru and other buildings in the Castle we designated Important Cultural Properties.
The Seiryu-en Garden was constructed as a reception facility for the City of Kyoto.
Nijo Castle was registered on the World Heritage List of UNESCO.
Pages created by
Burgess WebPage Design
Copyright©2000. All rights reserved.